13/08/2019 - EURid Q2 2019 Progress Report now available
EURid released its Q2 2019 Progress Report today, sharing its quarterly statistics and developments. Highlights include:
- 164 906 new domain name registrations were recorded;
- Ireland tops the list of top growth countries at +18% growth;
- The average renewal rate was 82.3%, up 4% since Q1.
The quarter ended with a total of 3 623 691 .eu registrations. The high increase in Ireland could be related to the notice about UK withdrawal from the EU and its subsequence to UK .eu domain name holders. Some of the UK domain name holders may have had the chance to transfer the domain names to their branches in other countries of the EU and EEA, e.g. the neighboring Ireland.
Q2 confirmed to be strong on renewal rate as the .eu domain name registration was launched in April 2006, that is also the month when the majority of .eu domain names were registered. The renewal rate of Q2 shows that the original registrants continue to rely on their .eu domain names.
Developments throughout the quarter also included:
- EURid and European Commission Service Concession Contract extended until 12 October 2022;
- EURid and EUIPO strengthened their cooperation;
- EURid contributed to the Monchique reforestation in Portugal and the Uganda Borehole projects to offset its CO2 emissions;
- ICANN announced the completion of the string evaluation for the IDN ccTLD “ευ” (xn--qxa6a), .eu in Greek.